Nestled high inside the eastern rim of the Southern Alps is Mt Hutt Ski Area, which receives some of the deepest, lightest, driest powder in Australasia. Overlooking the spectacular vista of the sprawling patchwork quilt of the Canterbury Plains with the blue Pacific Ocean in the far distance, skiers and snowboarders from all around the world can revel in the longest season in the Southern Hemisphere.
Being in the heart of the Southern Alps is a truly awesome experience. It has its practical advantages for beginners and experts alike. Powderhounds just won’t believe their luck. With plenty of adrenaline-pumping Black Diamond runs on the South Face, extreme skiers and boarders will have as many different challenges as they can handle. The wide open terrain is great for first-time skiers and families too. Mt Hutt’s new specially designed Children’s Centre, Ski and Snowboard School and purpose built beginners area will definitely teach you a thing or two.
Snowmaking starts early May, ensuring great snow for the whole season. All this is just one hour’s drive from cosmopolitan Christchurch and a stone’s throw from the friendly country town of Methven, Mt Hutt’s village.
- Skiable Area:365 Hectares (excluding Rakaia Saddle Chutes of 107 Hectares)
- Lifts:1 High Speed 6 Seater Chair, 1 Quad Chair, 1 Triple Chair, 1 Magic Carpet
- Terrain:Beginner 25%, Intermediate 50%, Advanced 25%
- Season:Early June to Late October
- Snowmaking:Yes, 42 Hectares
- Hours:9:00am to 4:00pm
- Longest Run:2km (International)
- Snow School:Yes, group and private lessons available
- FacilitiesLicensed Beaches Brasserie
- Sky High Cafe
- Rental – Skis, Boots & Poles, Snowboard & Boots, Clothing
- Ski and Snowboard Repair
- Ski Storage
- Retail Outlet – Accessories and Clothing
- First Aid & Emergency Services
- Licensed creche and dedicated one stop childrens centre
- 2 FIS specification Half Pipes and 10,000 square metre Terrain Park>